Forward Property Group has now let all of its high quality office accommodation at St Baldred’s Hall on Ashley Road in Hale.
The characterful Victorian building, which was built in 1883 as a ‘Home for Girls’, was purchased by the Group in 2009 and has recently been comprehensively refurbished to offer smart office premises for small to medium sized businesses.
The last suite, an 1800ft2 space on the ground floor has been occupied by High Access Maintenance Ltd
The building’s distinctive red brick façade, large windows and high ceilings have made it a popular choice with businesses looking for an impressive office space close to Hale Village and the local train station. The offices also offer extensive on-site car parking which is perfect for commuters and visitors.
Says Niel Bethell of High Access Maintenance Ltd ‘We chose St Baldred’s Hall for our new head office because of it’s convenient location and because the Forward Property Group had made such a good job on the refurbishment of the interior.
‘Many landlords are tempted to cut corners when it comes to refurbishments but the Forward team have really taken care to provide a smart and light office environment which is pleasant to work in and which we’re happy to welcome visitors to’, Niel added
About St Baldred’s Hall
St Baldred’s Hall was built in 1883 as one of two ‘Homes for Girls’ established by a Mr F. W Crossley of Manchester. Both buildings were located on separate sites on Ashley Road in Hale.
Known as ‘No 2 Home’, it was certified to operate as an Industrial School for girls aged up to 10 years old sentenced by the courts to a period of detention. Up to 30 girls could be accommodated and they were given training for employment in domestic service.
The earlier property (known as ‘No 1 Home’) was constructed in 1881 for the same purpose but housed ‘a better class of girl’ with St. Baldred’s Hall receiving ‘a more degraded class’.
By 1890, the courts were placing fewer girls in the home and St Baldred’s was loaned to Manchester and Salford Police for use as an Orphanage. The property was taken over by Hale Conservative Club between 1925 and 2008 and even provided temporary accommodation for refugee children from a Guernsey school during the Second World War.
The No 1 Home operated until 1913 before being taken over by Hale Council as offices then demolished in 1970 to make way for The Ashley Hotel.