Denzell House on Dunham Road in Bowdon is now fully let.
The final two office suites within the beautiful Grade II listed building were occupied earlier this month by new tenants Garston Entertainment Ltd and Urban Design & Consult Ltd.
Leading commercial landlords, Forward Property Group, acquired Denzell House in Spring 2015. The building has a long and interesting history; it was originally constructed in 1874 and was a private home up to 1936 when it was bequeathed to the local council. It was used by the local health service until it was converted into offices in 1989.
Since acquiring the property, Forward Property Group has undertaken a phased programme of renovation to restore it to its former glory and provide high quality office accommodation for rent by small to medium sized businesses.
The building’s striking façade, a combination of eclectic Jacobean, Gothic and Italianate styling, has been cleaned, restored and redecorated and the Conservatory, once home to rare plants and fruits, is now an impressive meeting room and function space available for hire.
Forward Property Group is currently undertaking redecoration of all of the building’s communal areas within the office building; the final stage of renovations.
About Denzell House
In 1874, prominent businessman Robert Scott purchased 10 acres from the seventh Earl of Stamford on which to build a home for his son, Henry. Tragically, Henry was killed before he could enjoy his father’s generosity.
When Robert died in 1904, Denzell House and its grounds were sold to shipping magnate Samuel Lamb. Lamb cherished the estate during his lifetime and employed 16 gardeners to transform its nine acres of grounds into productive glasshouses, kitchen gardens, flowerbeds and landscaping.
Following his death, the estate fell into disrepair and in 1936 the family passed it to the local council, Bowdon Urban District Council (now part of Trafford Council), so that its grounds might be used to offer local residents a place for leisure and recreation.
In 1938, the house was a Whitsuntide weekend school and, during the Second World War, it became an extension of Altrincham General and was used as a maternity ward. In 1989 it was sold and converted into offices.
Denzell Gardens remain open to the public and are now managed and protected by Friends of Denzell Gardens and Devisdale, who, through the generosity of local donors and volunteers, are instigating a programme of restoration to restore the site to its former glory.
Recent projects include the restoration of ‘The Lynch Gate’, the ‘Sunken Garden’ and the reinstatement of a wildlife pond.